How much influence do we really have on our hormones? And… how much do our hormones really influence our experience of labor, anyway?
And this week we’re speaking with Heather, a mother of two who decided to experiment on herself regarding her ability to influence her hormonal responses. It’s… fascinating and honestly so exciting. I can’t wait to jump into her two birth stories. Before we do— I’d love to thank this week’s reviewer of the week, militarybigfamily.
If you’re finding value in this show, would you take a moment to head over to apple podcasts and leave us a *hopefuly* 5 star rating and review? It’s an easy, free way to help support the show! And of course, share it with your friends!
Also— if you’re finding value in this show, would you take a moment to head over to apple podcasts and leave us a *hopefuly* 5 star rating and review? It’s an easy, free way to help support the show! And of course, share it with your friends!
Wow, I got some gold from this episode and I can only imagine that you did, too! Let’s head into this week’s episode roundup and let me bring up some of my favorite little nuggets.
- 10 centimeters does not always equate to time to push. It sounded like Heather even had a bit of a feeling that it wasn’t time as she experienced her first labor, but when someone with experience lets you know that “it’s time”…. well, that’s pretty impactful. I love how Heather expressed that this was a great learning experience for her, and how she entered her second birth feeling more confident when it came to listening to her body and doing things in her own timing.
- Related to my first point, Heather was at home for her second birth. She was able to #givebirthonyourturf, which truly puts you in the power position. This is your space, and the confidence of doing things your way just comes naturally.
- I also want to bring up Heather’s need for nobody, as we could put it. Her uterus, much like my own, doesn’t want the spotlight. She realized that having an additional student and a birth photographer was just not right for her body in her first labor, and it was causing a bit of stalling, perhaps even anxiety. Once she cleared the people away, she was able to let her body focus.
- Next, heather mentioned one of my favorite concepts. The balance between control and surrender. There are so many aspects of preparation that we can control: Where we are, who we’re with, what we learn before entering labor (shout out to happy homebirth academy)…. But at the same time, we’ve got to let go of the outcome. We’ve got to let go of our desire to control and know exactly how it will play out, because we can’t. And, honestly, that’s above our pay grade anyway, right? At some point we must come to the moment of surrender and release, and what a beautiful place that can be.
- And finally, let’s end where we began, and with my favorite golden nugget of all. YOU CAN IMPACT YOUR HORMONES! Holy moly, this was so insightful. Heather took it upon herself to begin practicing relaxation and seeing how it influenced her milk letdown. Isn’t she the coolest scientist in the world? I’m just overwhelmed at how cool that was. And… it came in handy, didn’t it? She entered her second labor knowing how to relax on a deep level, and knowing just how much that relaxation could encourage her body and baby to progress in labor. I just… wow. I’m still overwhelmed at how amazing this is. And how much it makes sense. Thank you, Heather! You really blew my mind with that one.
Before you hop off, would you take a screenshot of this episode and share it on your instagram stories? Tag happyhomebirthpodcast and tell me your favorite takeaway from this episode!
Baby Trend andThe Cover Me 4-in-1 Convertible car seat
https://babytrend.com/ossa and use the code CoverMe20